Thursday, May 27, 2010

Transition

Way back in the middle part of the 21st century – the hydrocarbon fuelled economy changed to electricity and people found new ways to keep their homes warm in the winter. In Ingersoll, a few indicators are visible today of what was later to be history. The problem of Canada’s cold winters was solved by sticking refrigeration coils in the ground and using a little bit of electricity pull constantly replenished geothermal heat out of the ground. Canada is now a world leader for geothermal heating systems and in Ingersoll one company is already busy installing new systems.

I saw an electric scooter on the streets of Ingersoll and chased it on my bicycle to discover a local electric pioneer who had just bought a new China-made solution to summer-time trips around town.

Mr. Mike Farlow is a local pioneer demonstrating that the transition to electric is feasible and economical. He has lots of videos on Youtube showing the development a couple years ago of his electric Jeep.
I had a ride in it and it runs great.


His house has solar panels, a windmill, and rain-catchment systems. He outlined the equipment I would need to run the Egypt apartment using solar power. If I can find solar-electric panels the next time I am dropped into the 8th century I shall have a system installed within a few weeks. Surprising to think that I will soon have a totally independent solar powered apartment with reliable power – unlike the 8th century power grid.

No comments:

Post a Comment