Friday, April 8, 2011

Urban Transit

Travel vignettes. Recent travels carried the Time Traveler northward along the Nile and then out of Africa altogether.

 

Before I knew the vortex that was to sweep me away I looked east and west from atop a favourite sunset watching place in Luxor, Egypt. First toward the new Coptic Cathedral  . . 


. . .and then west toward a final setting sun across the Nile.



Two days later I awoke to look down upon one of the few remaining original villas in Maadi – a suburb of Cairo – built in the days with villas had back yards and gardens to entertain friends and family on quiet evenings.
 

From the 9th floor patio of Gold’s Gym one can see how the villas and their land have been swallowed by the spreading Cairo becoming more dense by the year. 


A few short days later, yet another city was spread across the land below the window where I slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment