Thursday, March 18, 2010

Swept Away and Thrown Upon a Beach

The last thing I remember was looking out the window of the bedroom in Luxor . . . and next I find myself standing naked on a Tel Aviv Beach. Fortunately, it was in the middle of a party and no one really noticed. The last time I was here was only a year ago but there are now new buildings, new highway intersections, busier stores, more people. In Ashkelon the economy appears to be booming and new restaurants have filled the strip mall close to the new marina.


A new apartment building close to the sea was mostly vacant a year ago - now it is almost fully rented. This Time Traveller was able to find shelter in small apartment with a view of the sea.



Until this strange genetic defect takes me to another place and time I will take the opportunity to visit former work colleagues, eat healthy Israeli breakfasts, work out at Holmes Gym beside the US Embassy, and end my days with a short walk to a favorite internet cafe a couple blocks from the sea on Allenby street. As I walked the path between gym and internet I notice how formerly derelict buildings have been restored and returned to active use, roads have been repaired and people are looking fit and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment