Sunday, March 14, 2010

Simple Cool - Part 2



I am solving the challenge of living in heat without a lot of electricity- one step at a time. These simple cotton-canvas curtains have been a favorite of mine since moving to Egypt. At just a little over $1 per square meter and with the addition of a little sewing - one can do anything with them. In our case these curtains intercept many thousands of watts of solar energy - before it can hit the side of our apartment - and they make the balcony a pleasant shaded place.


I remember on my last trip to New York City I saw how the giant banners in front of the Museums and Art Galleries were perforated with "Airways" that let strong breezes pass through - so I sketch out a similar pattern on the canvas and take them to the sewing guy a few blocks away. Last night the design was proven successful by a strong breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment