Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pastimes of my Youth



The best knowledge comes from doing – and gathering knowledge is one of the Time Traveller's favourite pastimes. As the Time Traveller grows older - with each passing minute - I remember the simpler times of my youth when I might work in the apple orchards or the factories of southern Ontario. Here in Luxor I can recreate those days with work in the sugar cane fields near the apartment.


Sugar cane is harvested to achieve maximum employment in Egypt. Every single stalk is manually cut by hand, trimmed of its green top - stripped of dead brown leaves - and stacked for loading onto wagons to the trains. It required a team of 20 men more than a week to harvest 15 acres of cane behind our apartment. The regular men make 30 LE per day ( about $6.00 CDN). I worked for the glory!


1 comment:

  1. Good to see you getting into shape for some glory work at Obed!

    ReplyDelete